Friday, March 19, 2010

Q&A with Topeka Roadrunners Forward Erik Higby

After a long wait, the answers from a recent Q&A I did with Topeka Roadrunners Forward Erik Higby who's on the South Division Leading to advance to the NAHL Robertson Cup Championship and to knock out the St. Louis Bandits who's won both the Division & League Championship the last 3 years.

This season, Topeka's leading score is looking to be the NAHL Scoring Champion as he is just 2 points back of Michael Juola of the Fairbanks Ice Dogs for the league scoring title. I also asked him about moving from Michigan to San Antonio and his current status on playing NCAA Hockey.

Also the teams chances of making the NAHL Robertson Cup Championship Tournament that will be taking place in Wenatchee, Washington coming up in May.

Topeka Roadrunners Player Profile: http://nahl.stats.pointstreak.com/playerpage.html?playerid=3175958&seasonid=4527

Here's the Q&A with Erik Higby.

1. With your success this season, you still haven't committed on where you may play your NCAA Hockey Career. Can you give us an update on what your status is on this, and have you felt like you have been under the radar in your hockey career?

I have been speaking with quite a few schools and I should be reaching a decision shortly. I look forward to be playing at the next level. I do feel I'm under the radar screen, but a lot of my success is because I'm playing with a lot of talented players and we have worked well as a team.

2. Your currently just 2 points back of Micheal Juola of the Fairbanks Ice Dogs for the League Scoring Lead. How much attention are you putting into winning the league's scoring title with just 5 games left this season.

At the time of responding to this I'am going into our second series against the St. Louis Bandits and I'm currently just 2 points back. However, i'm taking this one game at a time and hoping my team's success continues.

3. Let's assume your team will play the St. Louis Bandits for the South Division Title and a Robertson Cup Spot. With your experience with the Mahoning Valley Phantoms last year, how big will your experience to help put the Roadrunners playoff disappointment behind them when they lost to the Bandits in the South Division Final last season?

I hope my experience will be big for us this year and help us lead to the Robertson Cup Championship, but saying that we need a big team effort for the rest of the season.

4. When you found out you were moving to San Antonio in 2008. You mentioned in a recent story on the NAHL Website that "Down in San Antonio, I live close to an ice rink and there are a lot more hockey players then I was expecting," How were you feeling that your hockey career could continue at a high level living in Texas.

I was worried, but I was able to stay in shape during the summer months and skating with players that came from Division 1 Schools and Semi Pro Teams that now live in the San Antonio Area. That helped me prepare for the current season.

5. As a follow up, how has the fact that you have several Texas Based Teammates like Jacob Poe, Micheal Hill and Cooper Frederick helped you out in the transition in terms that players from Texas can play at a high level?

Hockey in Texas (Especially in the Dallas Area) has become such a popular sport, so I wasn't surprised that Texas would have so many talented players, and these guys have been great to play with this season.

6. With the Topeka Roadrunners having the league's best record right now. Do you think it's to the point that the expectations is making the NAHL Robertson Cup Championship or Bust?

This was our goal at the beginning of the season and hopefully we will be successful once playoff time comes next month.

7. If the Roadrunners do make the NAHL Robertson Cup Championship, who do you think could be your biggest competition to win the Championship this season?

Everyone will be competitive and will take every team seriously. I think our biggest test would be playing the Wenatchee Wild since their one of the top teams as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment